Chorus, the university-wide telephony solution, was introduced in 2016 and the Chorus team in IT Services support over 15,000 physical handsets, along with software-phone (softphone) clients for end users and service desk colleagues.
The Chorus Upgrade project was commissioned in 2018 to upgrade the system to the latest version (OpenScape v10), to maintain in-life support and provide access to new features and enhancements.
- An upgrade to the latest version
- Prolong the working life of existing physical phones
- Enhanced look and feel for softphone clients, with an improved layout, new feature-set and improved accessibility
- Moving to an enhanced virtual infrastruture, to provide increased stability and flexibilty
- Replacement of end-of-life dedicated network hardware
- A new strategic access management tool, allowing secure, managed, remote access for third party support engineers
- New dual-sited test environment that replicates the live system, to enhance pre-production testing
The project team will continue to engage with all stakeholders throughout the process, to ensure that feedback opportunities are given, and provide a mechanism for continuous improvement.
Significant time and effort have been invested over the last few years to feed into planning for the delivery of this project. The project is currently in the procurement phase and working towards the following high-level milestones:
- September 2020 – Back-end infrastructure in place to accommodate the new Chorus solution
- November 2020 – New Test environment fully operational and signed off
- May 2021 – New Production (live) environment, including physical phones, fully tested and signed off. New softphones clients available to end users