|The Nexus365 project is close to completion having migrated approximately 64,000 accounts to the new service|
The Nexus365 project has upgraded the centrally managed email and calendaring service (that is part of the Nexus service provided by IT Services) to the hosted cloud-based Microsoft Office 365 service. The new service is called Nexus365, and users also have access to OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, Groups, Teams, and Delve.
Reasons for making this change included:
- There was widespread desire from users for increased mailbox quotas and it would not have been cost-effective to increase the existing Nexus mailbox capacity
- The hardware that supported email / calendaring became unsupported in September 2018, and it would not have made sense, financially, to continue hosting the email service on-premise
- The University benefitted from the advantageous JISC (Joint Information Systems Committee) negotiated amendments to the Microsoft Office 365 agreement
This upgrade has brought many benefits to end-users and has been advantageous for the University as a whole.
The main benefits for the user are:
- A much increased mailbox quota – up to 50GB from 2-3GB
- Access to OneDrive for Business with 5TB of cloud storage (this will complement, not replace, existing shared drives and systems and is not intended for sensitive data)
- Access to Skype for Business, Groups, Teams, Delve and Planner
- An easier mechanism for downloading Microsoft Office 2016 to your personal machines, for personal use, whilst a member of the University
Advantages for the University as a whole are:
- Greater capacity and resilience to meet future needs
- Better utilisation of the Nexus team
- Improved email protection for users through Office 365’s up-to-date security measures. Additional security tools are also being implemented after migration
What was delivered?
- Migration of student / staff Nexus mail (and calendar) accounts to Nexus365 and the provision of significantly more storage space
- Provision to students and staff of OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, Groups, Teams, Delve and Planner
- Improved end user experience in obtaining Office 2016
- Provision of the central IT Service Desk with appropriately trained staff and supporting materials to support the service
- Upgraded and improved the security of our email environment
What is left to complete?
- Revised registration / provisioning functionality thereby making it easier for IT Services to support this process